Monday, November 2, 2009

Ataloa Theater

19 days until the premier of Lowak Shoppala'.  I wasn't nervous until I walked on the stage where the actual performance will be.  I bit intimdating and exciting all at the same time if that makes sense.
There is a lot of excitement in the air about this production.  It has people from all walks of life.  Professional performers, dancers who have danced for years, children and adults.  I am the storyteller...I know that is a stretch for me.....ha.  I am actually reading a story written by Nobel Prize finalist Linda Hogan.  I know impressive right.  This performance will tell the story of the Chickasaw from before removal to removal.  It will tell small stories with words, dances, songs, and music.  The costuming is by Margaret Roach Wheeler, who is know all over.  And yes I will be wearing a piece designed by her.  Again, impressive!!  I can't wait to see what it looks like.  I have seen the other costumes she has completed and they are amazing.  So I can only imagine what mine looks like.  Even the most simplest of costumes are breath taking.  She made a dress for one of the dance troupe member to wear and she looks as if she stepped right out of a history book.  I actually got weepy.  To know the history and then to see it unfold as it is .....is AMAZING!!  

No comments: